(If you are squeamish about child birth, maybe skip this post. But I'd like to remember these details so here they are. )
Actually, I probably wont post about my pregnancy because it would just end up being 5 large paragraphs of grievances with nothing positive to say. Truly the only good thing I experienced while pregnant, was not having to clean out the littler box for 9 months.
Labor started with pretty intense and painful contractions about 3am on Monday July 2, 2012. I thought that I would be hospital bound in no time. This was very pleasing to me as I thought it would still be a few more days to a week based on my Dr. appointment I had just had. I hadn't dilated at all! Buuuuut, the contractions never got closer than 8-12 minutes apart. This went on all day Monday, and all day Tuesday. I went to bed at 9pm on Tuesday night because there was a little reprieve in the contractions. Woke up at 11 pm with Oh so painful contractions but they were still so far apart. I was so mad. I got up and just started pacing around the house. I did this for about 2 hours and it did the trick. They were finally 3-5 minutes apart and I was so happy.
We got to the hospital about 2am Wed morning. ( Would have been sooner but for some reason I thought it important to take the time to shave my legs, otherwise I would be embarrassed. Ridiculous.) They checked me and I was only 1 1/2 centimeters dilated. Checked again 2 hours later and and was only at a 2. My contractions started getting further and further apart and I thought for sure they would send me home. But they said they'd keep me for one more hour and just see if I made any progress. By some great and glorious miracle when they checked again, I was 3 1/2 and they admitted me. Hallelujah and Fin-al-ly!
| I can't believe I am sharing this awful awful picture. Contracting painfully here. |
Vincent James Wolstenholme, just a tiny 5lbs 15oz and 19 inches long.
I just remember feeling this instant relief from the pain and a feeling of euphoria running through my whole body as I looked at this little creature in front of me. He was spectacular and I could not believe this was my baby and that he was more perfect than I could have imagined. It was maybe the best feeling I have ever experienced. And it was short lived.
Next thing I know I was feeling pain again. I couldn't believe it, I thought I was done with pain. The umbilical cord detached from the placenta. Also the placenta was still attached to the uterine wall. So Dr. Smith had to manually try and retrieve the after birth. It was maybe the worst part of my whole experience. Not only because I wasn't prepared to deal with more pain (Ahhhh the pain) but I couldn't even enjoy this new baby. During the ordeal I remember looking over and seeing Josh holding Vincent adoringly. Even though I was slightly jealous I was also very relieved to know that he was in his Dad's arms while I underwent basically a D&C and feeling every bit of it.
I lost a lot of blood and they were preparing to do a transfusion, but ended up not needing one. I was so weak the rest of the night I really didn't feel much like holding my sweet baby even though my heart ached for him. But we bonded a lot the next day. I took advantage of staying in the hospital the full 48 hours after birth, and still didn't feel quite ready to go home.
| I can't figure out why it's coming in sideways. Finally bonding. Yucky puffy face. |